Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: What could this be? Pendant? Weight? Fake?  (Read 1720 times)

superflex

What could this be? Pendant? Weight? Fake?
« on: April 05, 2013, 01:23:06 am »
I have been looking through volumes of information and cannot find any item similar. It is suppose to be an 8th century bc Greek something.

Now geometric shapes seem to have been big in that era, yet what could the purpose for something like this be ? jeweler? Would bronze be used in this fashion.

I think the patina looks fine.  Any pointers on research would be great, any helpful reading links. The second and third images are the closet example i have found.

Taras

Re: What could this be? Pendant? Weight? Fake?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:43:10 pm »
The third image, in my opinion, is (maybe a modern imitation of) an archaic greek openwork rattle bell. The others I don't know.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 12:53:30 pm »
Maybe the first two are weights of some sort, like fishing weights.

superflex

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:30:03 pm »
Thank you for the thoughts,

Weights did cross my mind but I couldn't determine that as the case here.

Most weights I have seen are trapezoid shaped, made of stone material not bronze. Why would they use bronze on a fishing net for example? I am sure it was a more valuable commodity than to be used for that purpose.

Why shape is as a sphere?

Could it be a prize or pendant representing the Episkyros ball game in ancient Greece?

Could it have some astrological representation to it?

Please share any further ideas!

superflex

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:13:41 am »
After some more research i am thinking maybe something agricultural ?  Cow bell, Animal collar attachment maybe?

The wear on the top might show it was always hanging from something with its weight pulling down. Something that caused that wear...

I'm stuck on this one  >:(

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 06:14:04 pm »
Hi Superflex and friends,

With regard to the third item - if the bottom had a socket, I might call it a Scythian bronze pole top (c. 6th to 4th century BC). For similar items, see;
1.  Reeder, Ellen D. Ed., et al. Scythian Gold. The Walters Art Gallery, Baltimore. New York, Abrams, 1999. Item Nos. 36, 37 and 38; pages 140 to 143.
2.  The Metropolitan Museum of Art & The Los Angeles County Museum of Art. From the Lands of the Scythians, Ancient Treasures from the Museums of the USSR, 3000 BC - 100 BC. New York & Los Angeles, not dated.. No. 31, Plate 6 - referred to as chariot ornament.
     Is there a metal or stone ball inside of it? Does it rattle?
     There may be some kind of a link between these items...
Russ

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 10:21:09 pm »
The first looks almost like a plumb bob.
I have no idea if that is what it is though.  The second could be one as well.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity