Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trebizond or Georgian Imitation  (Read 972 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Trebizond or Georgian Imitation
« on: August 03, 2006, 02:40:15 pm »
Recently, I was sent an image of an interesting coin. I wanted to get some reactions of what you think of the ID. This is not my area of expertise, so all info is appreciated.

The owner suspects it may be a Georgian imitation of Trebizond copper ( it came with group of late Byzantine bronze). The obverse hasĀ  a ruler and what appears to be a Greek/Cyrillic legend O GE
  • R[G] - RIX, and the reverse a cross with a legend quartered by 4 (3 clearly visible) small crosses, that seems to read IH XC NI KA (though partially retrograde).

Best,
Levon

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Trebizond or Georgian Imitation
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 04:36:57 pm »
Not listed in Studies in the Numismatic History of Georgia in Transcaucasia, Numismatic Notes and Monographs No. 130.

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 05:18:45 am »
It's not a caucasian production but a coin from kingdom of Sicily.

Kingdom of Sicily
Ruggero II as king (1130-1154)
Messina mint

obv/ ROGERI RIX
rev/ IC XC NI KA

ref/ Travaini 191

yafet_rasnal

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 05:19:57 am »
btw...where does this coin come from? Caucasian area?

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2006, 03:15:04 pm »
guy said it came with a lot of byzantine copper of the similiar period. I think it might be a balkan find.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity