Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I believe these coins to be 'fake'. Do you agree?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline 186

• Praetorian
I believe these coins to be 'fake'. Do you agree?
« on: September 11, 2015, 04:50:21 pm »
I believe that the following coins (listed on ebay) are 'fake' (repro's) and with (at least) the first there seems to be support from the fake coins list.
What does everyone think?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: I believe these coins to be 'fake'. Do you agree?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 05:43:46 pm »
How about reading the rules--one coin per thread, weight and size.  But, beyond that--yes, obvious fakes.  The Thasos, for example, is widely sold as a fake on Ebay and the others are from the same workshop and clearly, certainly fakes.

Offline Fides

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 06:43:33 am »
How about reading the rules--one coin per thread, weight and size.  But, beyond that--yes, obvious fakes.  The Thasos, for example, is widely sold as a fake on Ebay and the others are from the same workshop and clearly, certainly fakes.

You really could have been more polite, there.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 09:03:20 am »
Perhaps, but having repeated this mantra so many times has worn on my politeness.  Of course, one might point out that it is only polite to read the rules and follow them.  

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 09:09:41 am »
You realise you're in breach of the rules yourself then...(Rule #1: be nice). :)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 08:04:56 pm »
I'm a really big fan of Rule 1 and have to point out that every other discussion venue I read has had occasional mention of how 'unnice' the @#$%&'s over on Forvm were.   It is true that most of us could use some nice lessons now and then and it is also true that some people with this complaint were a bit thin skinned (that wasn't very nice to say either, was it?). 

However lets look at rule 3 (different list):
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=80768.0
"3. ONE coin per thread. Do not post groups of coins unless you only want an opinions on the whole group and not the individual coins in the group. Another exception is if posting multiple coins provides evidence that the coins are fake, post all the coins. "

In many cases the second and third sentences of this rule make posting a group not only allowable but suggested if we are to get the most out of the question.  Here is a fact: People are judged by the company they keep.  Here is another: So are coins.  The OP here asked for an opinion on the three coins as a group.  They were offered by the same seller (judging from the photo backgrounds)  Individually, we might doubt a coin but, when we see a pattern as presented here, any question we might have about the coins (one or all) is removed.  In this case, multiple coins DO (sorry for the impolite caps) 'provide evidence'.  This would not be the case had the coins been random selections from a 'Black Museum' - perhaps one Slavei, one tourist cast and one WRL gift shop special.  They are not. We have a set of related fakes offered as a single question in a manner in line with Rule 3's subsequent sentences instruction: "Post all the coins."

If I were in a position to make rules I would require anyone quoting a rule  to post a link to that rule.  There is no summary of Forvm rules all in one place but the 'ONE coin' rule I quoted is in the Fakes section.  The strongest iteration of the one coin rule is in the Identification section but Rule 1 appears in the Admin section.  Perhaps we can forgive someone having missed one or the other.  I do not suggest we need a special Rules section but only that we might help people find the information rather than being less than polite.

Offline Din X

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:28:56 pm »
They are antiquanova replicas.
Style is totally wrong.
The ones made of pure silver are marked with a S.
The one made of thin (pewter) have no mark but they are made of the wrong material.

You can buy them directly from them and much cheaper google "antiquanova"
First and Second result in google search!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity