Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman provincial to ID  (Read 328 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Roman provincial to ID
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:53:12 am »
Hi,
AE 19,  5.40gr
Obv: Young emperors head l. To right:  C A I C A P, to left:  A Y P H - -?
Rev: Emperors head r. To right O K P A ---?

Thank you

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Roman provincial to ID
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 02:51:42 pm »
Is there any way to get better pictures?  When I try to enlarge them, they get blurry quickly.  It should be easy to identify with clearer photos. 

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline solon

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 03:17:57 pm »
I hope this will help more and thank you.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 07:19:29 pm »
Hi solon,

The inscription in the first photo reads: "...P...AIC...KAICAP". In English, that roughly translates into: "...R...AIS...Caesar".

Meepzorp

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 08:55:28 pm »
I was wondering if the obverse is Antoninus Pius, with the reverse, Marcus Aurelius as Caesar.

Actually, with the bigger photo, I can see the (possible) reverse legend begins with  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Eta: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Omicron:

And the (possible) obverse legend begins with  :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Nu: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_omega_small: :Greek_Nu:
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity