Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tips to clean the green off this large coin??  (Read 2170 times)

kforbes862

Tips to clean the green off this large coin??
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:30:08 pm »
I got this coin in a lot of uncleaned's that i bought. this large coin has rough/sandy feeling green crust on it. what is the best approach to cleaning this one? It is a large coin, about 31mm, and i want it to come out nice without damage. would olive oil, distilled water, or something else be better?

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
Re: Tips to clean the green off this large coin??
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:43:23 pm »
Not trying to be a jerk or anything...but is there any reason you think there is somthing under the green? It looks flat/devoid of even somthing resembling a bump on both sides from the pic/scan is the only reason I am asking.

But back to your original question...I would boil in washing soda/dw for 15 minutes, soak in the same water over night, switch over to strait dw for the remainder of the time, and mechanically reduce the crust, vigourously brushing with a nylon brush periodically to remove loose debris.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

kforbes862

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 11:46:37 pm »
Looking at the coin in my hand, i can see the outline of a bust, and what looks like ac or ao in a spot around the rim. i will try the soda boil. thanks

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 03:03:41 am »
Careful with the boil. I have a strong feeling it is going to just rip that coin apart. I have had some like this and they are practically coins being held together by the patina over a rotten core and the detail you see is in the patina only.

On a side note, I would boil it too. It may work, it more than likely in my opinion ruin it though. Hut there is nothing toucan do about that. Lesson I learned. I actually have a topic on the one I ruined. If I wasn't on an iPhone I would find it for you. Ou may winthis battle, you may not...

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 01:04:42 am »
Ave!

Not trying to be a jerk or anything...but is there any reason you think there is somthing under the green? It looks flat/devoid of even somthing resembling a bump on both sides from the pic/scan is the only reason I am asking

Chris. Huh? You should really know better. This is a perfect coin for cleaning.

kforbes862, try this, okay?

4-5 five days soak in GG's 1, just to loosen the patina a bit. Use mechanical processes with a common dental pick to reveal the details. Then go to a SBBB in  battery-powered Dremel tool to buff off the high-lights. Return to hand-held tools to finish the process.

Piece of Cake, folks.

Best,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 08:16:10 am »
Ave!

Not trying to be a jerk or anything...but is there any reason you think there is somthing under the green? It looks flat/devoid of even somthing resembling a bump on both sides from the pic/scan is the only reason I am asking

Chris. Huh? You should really know better. This is a perfect coin for cleaning.

kforbes862, try this, okay?

4-5 five days soak in GG's 1, just to loosen the patina a bit. Use mechanical processes with a common dental pick to reveal the details. Then go to a SBBB in  battery-powered Dremel tool to buff off the high-lights. Return to hand-held tools to finish the process.

Piece of Cake, folks.

Best,

Kevin

I really do not see anything to save. Maybe my eyes are getting old! :)  I really do want to see progress pics though.

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline benito

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
  • quousque tandem abutere Sadigh pecunia nostra
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:30 am »
Avery short inmersion in sulphuric acid  (diluted)  can work miracles in seconds.

Offline Gallia Albanensis

• Praetorian
  • Formerly "aaronburr."
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 02:45:47 pm »
Looks like flaky green mixed with earthen crust.

Hydrogen peroxide works well on just about anything green on a coin (desirable or not), and also loosens organic earthen crust.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 03:04:48 pm »
Avery short inmersion in sulphuric acid  (diluted)  can work miracles in seconds.

Do you have any before/after photos of coins you've treated this way?

Ben

DirtyBronze

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2011, 07:09:25 pm »
looks a little more modern than ancient to me ...maybe 17th 18th century and well worth a try

All coins are guaranteed for eternity