Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Inscription meaning  (Read 12504 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Inscription meaning
« on: January 09, 2003, 03:31:19 pm »
I'm trying to make sense of part of the inscription on the reverse of a Mithridates II drachm, Sellwood type 28.6. It reads ARSAKOU EPIFANOUS (I've transliterated it because I can't make out how to get this thing to write Greek). My Greek is unspeakable, but  I believe it means 'the manifestation of Arsaces', with EPIFANEIA normally being used of the manifestation of a god. So presumably we're into divine kingship, with the ruling king as an appearance of the original god-king. Or am I barking up the wrong tree altogether?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Ard

Re: Inscription meaning
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2003, 12:17:56 pm »
Hello Robert,
I think you can see the coin at this website:
http://parthia.com/pdc_triton5.htm

I hope I'm right!

Greetz Ard

EmpressCollector

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2003, 12:21:56 pm »
You are not barking up the wrong tree.  That is entirely what that inscription means.  Similar to Antiochus Epiphanes.

Ard

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2003, 01:27:48 pm »
So I was right....?? :)

I'm sorry for this question, but I don't understand your answer, because I don't understand English very well ::)

Sorry :-[

sejanus

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2003, 01:55:06 pm »
Yes, Ard.  "Not barking ip the wrong tree" is the same as saying "barking up th right tree", which means that you are looking in the correct direction.

Ard

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2003, 01:59:46 pm »
gegege 8)
I'll sleep good tonigth :D :D

Thnx for translation. I'll try to speak and understund English better, but sometimes I need help :)
I'm just 14 years old ::)

sejanus

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2003, 02:10:18 pm »
I will be 14 in 2 months. ;D ;)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2003, 03:25:53 pm »
Sorry, I should use less slang. Thanks for the confirmation; I thought I was on the right lines. I've just bought a Phraates IV (I think), it'll be interesting to see what claims he made for himself.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity