Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Id help please - is this possibly Richard III?  (Read 82 times)

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
Id help please - is this possibly Richard III?
« on: April 20, 2024, 04:36:07 am »
I have been trying to identify this small silver coin. The obverse is well beaten up but the reverse has a strong resemblance to Seaby 6410 with the dots in each quarter of the cross and the 4 part diamond in the centre. Does anyone have an opinion as the whether this is Richard III or is too beaten to attribute to any ruler? It came with a group of medieval half pennies purchased at auction. It's 16.5 mm 0.65g

Any guidance gratefully accepted

Thanks

John

Offline Michael M22

• Legionary
Re: Id help please - is this possibly Richard III?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2024, 05:22:35 am »
Could more likely be Edward IV York mint than Richard III. It may be worth looking at Irish issues of Edward IV due to the extensive clipping. In short, I don't know but I'm inclined to think Edward IV York mint.

Offline John O3

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2024, 08:45:08 pm »
Thanks for the guidance - I'll pursue that angle

John

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2024, 05:44:56 am »
From the size, it's a penny. Little can be deduced from the obverse, as you say, other than it's an English penny with a crowned bust facing. Likely 15th-16th century. From the reverse, I'll cite the one diagnostic device I can discern: the central device in the long cross is a pellet in quatrefoil, thus minted in York. That happens to resemble my Henry IV penny of York, though it could also be a coin for Edward III-IV, Richard II, or Henry V-VI, whose pennies were minted at York with the central quatrefoil
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity