Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A New Diadumenian obverse die for Longinus  (Read 739 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
A New Diadumenian obverse die for Longinus
« on: December 11, 2009, 01:35:20 am »
Bill Welch called to my attention this new, even though related, obverse die for Diadumenian.
I had emphasized the importance of Macrinus' having a godlike bare bust with a bit of drapery (as if he were a half draped Zeus with the end of his himation over his shoulder) rendered in a ruggedly heroic style.  And little Diadumenian's DBBa seemed to correspond to it.  The new die, which I'm regarding as DBBb (where BB is for bare bust), seems to be an alternate die to DBBa.  Perhaps the one made first met with some accident and was replaced.  They do share the Demeter reverse, RIViii, besides.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/ayiyoryitika/longinusdies.html
• the new coin, 10 12 09  AE 27  12.57g  axis 12h  Nicopolis ad Istrum.  Issued by Longinus.  Diadumenian,  bare bust with bits of drapery.  Legend before 12h uncertain, then, from above head, DIADOVMENIANOS, the final sigma short of the bust.
Rev. Demeter with grain, leaning on, apparently, a scepter.  Apparently, VP STATIOV LONGINO   V   NIKOPOLIT---, and probably the final letters in the exergue, which belongs to a closely related obverse die.  Tentatively I would call this new obverse die DBBb.  The shared reverse die verifies the close stylistic relationship of this die to DBBa, and for that matter to the preceding DBg, h, i, and j, though none of them has the final sigma of Diadoumenian's name short of the bust.
Pat L.
CLICK
It is satisfying when new discoveries do fit into the tentative framework.  That is why putting forth the tentative work seems useful: it can be tested.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity