Latin abbreviation: Votis Tricennalibus Multis Quadragennalibus - vows (prayers) on the thirtieth anniversary [of the emperors rule], more for his [hoped for] fourtieth anniversary.
DICTIONARY OF ROMAN COINS
View whole page from the Dictionary Of Roman Coins
|Please add updates or make corrections to the NumisWiki text version as appropriate.|
VOT XXX MVLT XXXX:
- Within a laurel wreath; P CON in the exergue; on silver coin of Julian II
- Honorius in imperial dress seated facing, hoding a signal cloth (mappa) and an eagle tipped sceptre; the seat is ornamented with two lion's heads; RV in the field; COMOB in the exergue. Obv: D N HONORIVS P F AVG, helmeted facing bust of Honorius, wearing the imperial mantle, holding mappa and eagle tipped sceptre; gold
- Valentinian III in consular dress, standing with a diadem ornamented with a cross, presenting his hand to a kneeling figure, and holding a sceptre topped with a cross; RM in the field; COMOB in the exergue. Obv: D N PLACIDIVS VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, diademed bust of Valentinian III left, with the imperial mantle, holding a book (? mappa) and a sceptre topped by a cross; gold medallion. A very similar type occurs on the gold coins with obverse legend D N PLA VALENTINIANVS P F AVG
- Sometimes followed by B or Q. Helmeted Rome seated left, placing right foot on prow of a vessel and holding globus cruciger and sceptre; behind her a shield; star in the field; CONOB in the exergue. Obv: D N VALENTINIANVS P F AVG, hemelted bust of Valentinian III facing in cuirass, holding a spear and a shield with horseman motif; gold. Similar types occur on the gold coins of Theodosius II (sometimes TESOB in exergue, Thessalonica 72) and of his sister Pulcheria.
- Theodosius II and Valentinian III seated facing, each holding mappa and cross; CONOB in the exergue. Obv: D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG, diademed bust of Theodosius II right; gold.
- Eudoxia and her husband Valentinian III syanding facing; Eudoxia holds a sceptre and Valentinian III a globus cruciger; RM in the field; COMOB in the exergue. Obv: LICINIA EVDOXIA P F AVG, bust of Eudoxia facing, with two long strings of pearls, a cross on her head; gold