Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Judean Coin of the Day  (Read 1498 times)

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
Judean Coin of the Day
« on: July 13, 2008, 09:07:07 am »
This coin is one of my favorites; it came via FORVM :).

Judean Kingdom, John Hyrcanus I (Yehohanan), 134 - 104 B.C. Bronze prutah, TJC I 62, AJC I group N, Hendin 456, choice VF+, Jerusalem mint, 2.88g, 13.9mm, 0o. Obverse: Hebrew inscription, Yehohanan the High Priest and Council of the Jews, surrounded by wreath; Reverse: double cornucopia adorned with ribbons, pomegranate between horns, AP monogram below left; very rare full script.

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Judean Coin of the Day
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 03:05:54 pm »
I can't see the AP, which is probably buried if it is there - it's present on H455, absent on 456. But it's nice to see one that's so easily legible!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

All coins are guaranteed for eternity