Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Greek Bronze  (Read 533 times)

Offline Marsha

• Consul
Greek Bronze
« on: April 24, 2008, 04:22:07 pm »
Need some assistance with this one

17mm

Marsha

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Greek Bronze
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 06:01:16 pm »
I think this is Corykos in Cilicia:

obv: bust of Artemis, quiver and bow over shoulder, wearing winged cap and three uncertain round objects tied by straps

rev: Apollo holding laurel branch and resting on column; KWPVKIWTWN

I don’t seem to find a match, however, for the letter EP/PO/EP before Apollo either in Levante or in SNG France (they appear on a Hermes reverse of the same mint in the same position).

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline Marsha

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 06:57:21 pm »
Thank you Luigi

Now I see some examples that are very close to this, with Hermes on the reverse...

Marsha

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 02:54:39 am »
I know reverse deity seems to wear a petasos, but I said Apollo because i can't see any caduceus and wings on ankles; moreover, a Hermes reverse is combined with a Tyche obverse on all the specimens pictured in Levante and SNG France.
Below two pictures from asiaminorcoin.com.

Luigi

I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity