Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Provincial COTD..  (Read 1434 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Provincial COTD..
« on: July 24, 2004, 10:31:30 pm »
Elagabalus AE30..
Sidon in Phoenicia, BMC Phoenicia pg. 190, 276.   Reverse legend reads AVR PIA SID COL METRO AETER B F.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re:Provincial COTD..
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2004, 12:08:48 am »
How wonderful.  Doesn't look like a "car of Astarte" or exactly like anything agonistic.  Lindgren-Kovacs has some of those.  But Lindgren III, pl. 78, no. 1443, is like yours, and he calls it, in effect, a bushel basket, a modius: "Modius with two handles, filled with barley ears.  BMC 276v; Rouvier 1548v.24.78 (the Rouvier article looks like a bit hard to find: Journal International d'archéologie numismatique, vols. 3-7, Athens, 1900-1904).  Lindgren's coin measures 30mm in the photo.  Obv. die may be different, but I wasn't really studying that.  Annona never has such a nice modius as this one!
Pat Lawrence

Jericho

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2004, 12:39:28 am »
Wow, another great addition Featherz  ;D.  You should open a museum someday... you have a wonderful collection.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 03:24:43 pm »
      This coin records new honors that Sidon had received from Elagabalus, the titles colony and metropolis.
       Sidon's rival Tyre, in contrast, which had become colony and metropolis under Septimius, temporarily lost these honors under Elagabalus and issued coins with the bare ethnic TVRIORVM.
        It seems likely that Sidon had supported Elagabalus in his revolt against Macrinus whereas Tyre had supported Macrinus, and that the two cities were rewarded and punished accordingly after Elagabalus' victory.
        The AETERNVM BENEFICIVM or Perpetual Benefaction commemorated by the rev. type apparently refers to an imperial gift of grain to the city, symbolized by the modius, with the promise that it would be repeated in the future.  Several other imperial gifts of grain to Greek cities, sometimes specified as being grain from Egypt, are known.  Caracalla had apparently granted a similar benefit to Laodicea in 215 or 216 when he was in Syria for his planned Parthian campaign, as evidenced by a coin of the bearded Caracalla struck by Laodicea with modius rev. type just like Sidon's, and inscription AETERNVM BENEFICIVM LAOD DAT, 'A Perpetual Benefaction Accorded to the Laodiceans'.
      The above is summarized from R. Ziegler, Antioch, Laodicea, and Sidon and their Political Relationship to the Severans, Chiron 8, 1978 (in German).
Curtis Clay

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 03:33:47 pm »
i wonder about the rareity of this coin ,i saw many sidon ,but this is the firest i see with this legiond????
salem

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 04:06:54 pm »
Thank you Curtis. :) I'll have to add some of that description to my website when I have time to get this coin up there! :)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 07:58:16 pm »
    The coin is not a great rarity, since BM by 1910 had no fewer than five spec., with variants of the rev. legend AETERNV BENEFI, AETER BENEFI, AETERNV BFIC, and AETER BF.
    The spec. they illustrate, BMC pl. XXIV.15, is from the same obv. die as Heather's.  That ill. by Ziegler, in contrast, is a different bust var., bust seen from behind rather than from front.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity