Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin of the Day - Herod Agrippa I  (Read 73 times)

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
Coin of the Day - Herod Agrippa I
« on: March 16, 2024, 05:57:13 pm »
Not a new purchase, but I just finished taking proper photos of this coin and creating the composition. These coins are not rare or expensive, but I find this one above slightly above the average in terms of production quality.

In gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186345

HEROD AGRIPPA I, AD 41-44
AE Prutah (17.95mm, 2.43g, 1h)
Struck AD 41/2. Jerusalem mint
Obverse: ΒΑϹΙΛΕΩϹ ΑΓΡΙΠΑ around canopy
Reverse: L Ϛ, three heads of barley between two leaves
References: RPC I 4981, Hendin 6274
Dark bronze patina highlighted with earthen deposits. A decent specimen for the type.

Thanks for looking!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: Coin of the Day - Herod Agrippa I
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2024, 11:54:21 pm »
A pleasing coin of a popular type

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:11:54 pm »

A very nice coin CPK, and your photography is excellent, providing a really good impression of what the coin must be like. The obverse image of a canopy and reverse barley heads give the coin an elegantly simple and effective design.  When I first started collecting ancient coins, I noticed that clear, well thought out designs that suggested a peaceful life were a consistent feature of ancient Jewish coinage. Even during the dire days of the Bar Kochba revolt they featured palms, bunches of grapes, jugs and lyres. 

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2024, 08:15:32 am »
Thanks! I find these small Judaean bronzes especially difficult to photograph, so I'm happy with how this one turned out. I have a number of other Jewish types that I will hopefully be uploading in the not-too-distant future.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity