Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ethical question about fakes  (Read 713 times)

Offline Hydatius

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Ethical question about fakes
« on: December 03, 2007, 12:21:51 pm »
We all are pretty much forced to examine fakes and suspected fakes from photographs. Those of us who are dealers no doubt will see many more fakes in hand than any of the rest of us. Most of us, I think, would benefit from the opportunity to examine fakes in hand.  But if we have the money and can see that a fake is going for a low price on eBay, is it ethically acceptable to purchase that coin from a dealer who knows it's a fake, even a well-known fake seller

Richard
Non tam praeclarum est scire Latine quam turpe nescire.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Re: Ethical question about fakes
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 01:01:19 pm »
I wouldn't, especially if it's a regular fake seller. That's just encouraging fraud.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 02:22:39 pm »
I've sometimes considered buying what I believed were real ancient coins from dealers on the fake seller's list (not all their offers are fakes...), but I've always decided against it on the grounds that they shouldn't be in business on the first place. I don't want them to get my money, even if it's on the occasional authentic coin. Just my opinion...

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 02:23:53 pm »
I would and recently have but only from someone selling as a replica not someone trying to pawn it off as the real thing.  I bought  the two coins to turn into cuff links...

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:45:38 pm »
Absolutely.  The best way to warn the public about these scoundrels is to leave negative feedback.  You cannot leave negative feedback unless you actually buy something.

If you are a fraud victim and you are trying to get your money back, you cannot really leave negative feedback before you get the refund.  And if you do get your money back, it may seem wrong to leave negative feedback after that.

You do everyone on the eBay and numismatic communities a favor by getting these coins off the market, getting them into black cabinets where they can be studied, and giving negative feedback to those who are perpetrating fraud

All coins are guaranteed for eternity