Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Late Byzantine Ae 20.20 mm 2.18g John III Ducas-Vatatzes (Nicaea) SB 2118  (Read 1544 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
I purchased an interesting Late Byzantine Ae in a large lot of mixed Byzantine Ae.  It is not a trachy.  It measures 20.20 mm and weighs 2.18g.  On the obverse, there appears to be a nimbate Mary.  On the reverse, there is an Emperor, standing facing, holding labarum and globe.
 It is not a trachy and probably a tetarteron.  I have had a bit of difficulty identifying this coin.  A suggestion of John III Ducas-Vatatzes Empire of Nicaea has been suggested. Further help would be appreciated.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Are you sure its Mary? your picture is blurry. Any legend on the Obverse? It seems closest to John III DOC IV 60.4 but that would be Christ.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
It does now seem to be Christ and thus a tetarteron of John III Ducas-Vatatzes (Nicaea)  Magnesia  SB 2118.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Congratulation then! It is a rarer coin that I have not seen offered  for sale in recent memory. Doc sites 4 examples but only one in their collection. Your ecample seems to be the largest of those 4.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Here are three more:

Ross G.

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Thank you for your help in the identification  of this coin!  The last examples confirms it as John III Ducas-Vatatzes (Nicaea)  Magnesia  SB 2118.  Pogh_poor

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Late Byzantine Ae 20.20 mm 2.18g John III Ducas-Vatatzes (Nicaea) SB 2118
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 05:48:13 pm »
Alexios,

One of the rules of the FORVM boards is that valuations are not discussed.

Since you now know what the coin is, if you are interested in its value you can use the attribution to  look for similar coins on the internet.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity