Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Ends Today 1 May!!! Support This Discussion, NumisWiki, And The Fake Coin Reports With Your Purchase!!! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Ends Today 1 May!!! If You Plan To Look Later, The Sale Will Be Over When You "Get Around To It" Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My new lifetime-issue AU Alexander III Tetradrachm.  (Read 847 times)

Offline imhalek

• Legionary
My new lifetime-issue AU Alexander III Tetradrachm.
« on: December 19, 2014, 09:55:39 am »
I believe that it is this one: http://www.coinproject.com/coin_detail.php?coin=235885
If so, that means that it was struck between 327-323 BCE in Tarsus.
This is definitely my favorite coin.  I have had another Alexander tetradrachm minted in Amphipolis under Cassander for several years, but I really wanted a lifetime issue, and I finally got one!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: My new lifetime-issue AU Alexander III Tetradrachm.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 10:06:09 am »
There are some unsightly plastic adhesions that I would clean off, otherwise a very nice coin! I was irritated by the "AU" at first and feared someone had sold it to you as a gold coin.
Andreas Reich

Offline imhalek

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 12:53:42 pm »
I know most people here don't like slabs, but I do, because they ensure (as much as is possible) authenticity, demonstrate the quality (grade), and keep the coin safe from corrosion and damage.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 01:06:16 pm »
Nice coin. The coin project example is not the same coin (yours is nicer).  Not sure if you were saying it was the same coin or same type.

Offline imhalek

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »
I just meant that I thought it was the same type
The eagle on mine seems slightly more upright, and the globule might be in a slightly different position, but that was the closest match that I could find.

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 01:33:01 pm »
It's a beautiful coin. Congratulations!

Slabs are a matter of preference of course. If I were in the market for valuable coins, I'd appreciate the authentication myself - I trust David Vagi and his crew implicitly. Nobody bothers slabbing the coins I collect, except for a handful of eBay dealers that think they can charge an arm and a leg for common coins just because they're encased in plastic. I see those coins up for sale over and over and over again - the prices never come down, and they are rarely ever sold.

At any rate, you've got a lovely new addition to your collection there. Kudos.

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2014, 08:25:22 pm »
It's a beautiful coin. Congratulations!

Slabs are a matter of preference of course. If I were in the market for valuable coins, I'd appreciate the authentication myself - I trust David Vagi and his crew implicitly.

Afaik NGC does not guarantee authenticity on ancient coins they slab.

PtolemAE

All coins are guaranteed for eternity