Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Three pictures diferents. Which is better?  (Read 1722 times)

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
Three pictures diferents. Which is better?
« on: April 21, 2009, 11:48:54 am »
Hello, I am trying to improve my photos and I need your help.
These three photos were taken with the same camera, but with different lighting and background colors.
Which of these pictures is the best for you?. Your opinions would be appreciated. Thank you

Regards.
Mario

romeo

Re: Three pictures diferents. Which is better?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »
for me the top picture is way too out of focus. the bottom one isnt too sharp either and the lighting drowns out a lot of the detail, although i suspect the colour to be more accurate than the middle one, which is very sharp and shows all the good and bad detail. the middle on black is my favourite but from personal experience coins on a white background, if you can get focus and lighting correct, tend to give a more accurate colour endition.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:18:35 pm »
I prefer the black one as well, for all the reasons romeo stated.
Josh

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 03:25:21 pm »
I agree.  Middle pic.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 04:06:34 pm »
Judging only the coin, which, after all, is what is being photographed, surely the center one.  When I have a denarius, and I photograph it in my usual way with the gray card, sometimes I, too, get gray so dark it looks black.  The only problem is when you want to use Photoshop to mask the coin: you can lose a bit of edge.  If you can get the coin closer to the lens, so that the meter reads more coin as such, or replace the gray with a piece of black velvet for denarii, you can get the edge of the coin to be clearer.  When masking, also, you can make Photoshop distinguish the slightest difference.
Anyhow, the center photo is very good.
You can move the lamps a bit farther, or cause one of them to shine a bit more into the background (into the glass below which the card is on the floor of your box or dish), to 1) reduce contrast a little and 2) differentiate a little less between the coin and the background.
But you can solve your own problems in terms of your own environment and equipment.  I do get irritated at competing advice.  My experience with all sorts of photography and photographers is that there are many right ways and, to a certain extent, they are personal.  Pete Burbules and tacrolimus are two persons that I know have found their own excellent solutions, and the former has done it with a 2MP camera no longer new.
Pat L.
P.S. Actually, a reflector near by aimed at 4h to 5h, or a small lamp, like a mini-fluorescent, about a meter or more away at about the height of your head or shoulders and again aimed at the lower part of the coin (in any case, something much weaker and more diffuse than your primary lamps) should do the trick.  A reflector could be aluminum foil or a hand mirror, for example.

Offline SVLLAIMP

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 05:57:42 pm »
Middle pic.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 04:32:48 am »
Take care to get the camera exactly vertical to the coin.  It clearly wasn't in the first photo, and it makes it much easier to get the whole coin in sharp focus. 
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 04:39:41 am »
Colors on the bottom one are smoother, not sure they are colors of the actual coin. Middle one is sharper, as stated above, and the black background is better, not disturbing the eye off the coin...

Potator

Offline mdelvalle

• Caesar
  • Mi nombre es Mario
    • My collection on the web
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 05:57:03 pm »
Thank you very much friends, I will continue testing. Little by little I have to improve.
Again thanks for your opinions.

Regards
Mario

All coins are guaranteed for eternity