Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need ID help!  (Read 504 times)

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
Need ID help!
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:27:45 am »
What the coin it is?

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Need ID help!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:58:55 am »
Andreas Reich

Offline cot b

• Caesar
  • Cot Bajun
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:26:48 pm »
Thank's alot,areich!

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »
Hi!

Andreas has pointed me in the right direction:
It is an Homonoia Coinage from Amisos with Nikaia. You can read on the l. side of the rev. AMICOV. The upper line of the ex. is AMICHNWN, the lower line is very worn but could be NEIKAEWN(?)
The rev. shows Athena r. and Demeter l. According to Franke/Nolle Athena occurs in
Athens, Harpasa, Hierapolis, Lampsakos, Nikaia, Pergamon, Philadelphia, Selge and Side.
And Demeter occurs in Amisos, Erythrai, Kyzikos and Nikomedeia.

The obv. I think is Caracalla. The r. side of the legend is ANTWNINOC.

Not in Franke/Nolle. Nice coin!

Best regards

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 07:47:10 am »
Isn't the reverse a bit tooled?

Frank

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:03:57 am »
May be a bit 'stressed'?

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 08:13:08 am »

The reverse certainly matches Amisos in Alliance with Nicaea, which is what Jochen has noted. The reverse, though from different dies, is a direct match to that of FN 40 for Maximinus Thrax, the only emperor for which this city appears to have formed alliances under. What is needed is a larger image of the obverse, but I think that I see at least the starting letters AV K G I, then it gets very fuzzy. It is possible to get a better picture. If it turns out to be Caracalla then that would be a significant historical discovery - an alliance much earlier than originally thought.

c.rhodes
PS Taking a quick look at RG, where a few busts of Caracalla are shown, there does not seem to be much of a likeness between cot b's example and those depicted in RG - there Caracalla is shown bearded with scowling face.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity