Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Elagabalus Alexandrian bronze?  (Read 1212 times)

Offline iwaniw

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Elagabalus Alexandrian bronze?
« on: October 06, 2008, 08:09:55 pm »
The bronze issues of Elagabalus are extremely rare. While the drachms and diobols are well documented, the hemidrachms are not.

As far as I know there are possibly two hemidrachms. The first one is ANS-1944.100.64344, which is identified as a hemidracm in the ANS database with a weight of 11.66 g. (Homonoia standing left).

The other coin is presents more problems. Vogt in Die Alexandrinschen Muenzen identifies a "Nike stehend" bronze piece of year 4 in the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. In the Sotheby auction of the Marcel Jungfleisch collection -- part II (March 9, 1972), lot 157, the description reads as follows: "tetradrachms (2) on cast bronze flans, rev. Nike right LD (D. 4123) and a small bronze, Ae 20 mm., rev. bust of Sarapis right LD"

Normally hemidrachms and tetradrachm are about the same size and weight, but hemidrachm are usually on beveled flans.

So, now that the Elagabalus Alexandrian section of the Staatliche Museen is on line, it should have the bronze piece. The collection does not list any year 4 bronze pieces, but I have attached what I believe may be the "lost" bronze piece, identified as a tetradrachm (weight 14.68 g. and 27mm). From the picture, the flan looks like it is beveled.

Any thoughts?

Iwaniw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity