Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark  (Read 128 times)

Offline agord

• Consul
Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark
« on: February 07, 2024, 02:35:31 pm »
I received this today and wanted to share it. These symbols were used during Constans lifetime on some of the Phoenix and Galley types but are not recorded after his death. I think this mark is supposed to be a retrograde Z, making this Ric VIII Siscia 352/361, but the Z seems to have been re-engraved with the symbol 4 mark.
For more info on these symbols see https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=93305.25

Offline agord

• Consul
Re: Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2024, 05:28:59 pm »
 I would like to clarify that I think that it was the die that was re-engraved, not the coin tooled. The only way to prove that would be by finding a die match coin.

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
Re: Siscia Fallen Horseman with symbol 4 in mint mark
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2024, 06:25:11 pm »
I have had quite a few re-engraved examples.

The B in the reverse field at first looks retrograde; but looking closer it seems engraved over... like S over EI in an attempt to change it to BI.

In the reverse legend of the second coin, it looks like the engraver made an error and then re-engraved it-- the first S of CAESARIS has something under it.
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity