Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Claudius Incoming- bronze disease??  (Read 640 times)

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
New Claudius Incoming- bronze disease??
« on: October 27, 2023, 09:17:39 am »
I have an order on the way for a Claudius as that I picked up for a good price. Up till now I have been fortunate enough with my small collection to avoid bronze disease, and I also haven't handled any coins that are affected by it. Since I don't yet have the experience of identifying and treating it, I was hoping some of the members could take a look at the seller's picture and determine if this coin might need to be treated for BD when I receive it. If so, do you have any tried and true methods that work for you?

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
Re: New Claudius Incoming- bronze disease??
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 09:46:02 am »
Also, I have seen this coin listed elsewhere as a dupondius. Can anyone verify? Thanks very much for the help

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 11:55:07 am »
Hard to say if it is BD or not.  Depends on how soft and powdery the green stuff is.  But there is certainly a chance that it is BD.  Otherwise it is the remains of a patina after it was chemically cleaned, stripping most of the original patina.

Personally, I would start with working on it with a cut down toothbrush and then advance to a soft brass brush and see what comes off.  But very gently.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 10:53:18 am »
Thank you for the advice SC. I wasn't initially too concerned with the appearance, but the reverse has made me question if that buildup is a trouble spot. I'll have to get it in hand to see how powdery it is. At the worst, it was fairly inexpensive and will potentially give me some experience dealing with BD. If I find that it needs treatment would you recommend soaking it in solution until every bit of patina is removed?

Hard to say if it is BD or not.  Depends on how soft and powdery the green stuff is.  But there is certainly a chance that it is BD.  Otherwise it is the remains of a patina after it was chemically cleaned, stripping most of the original patina.

Personally, I would start with working on it with a cut down toothbrush and then advance to a soft brass brush and see what comes off.  But very gently.

SC

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2023, 07:43:49 am »
I'd just give it a clean with brushes and see what happens.  There may not be any spots that are active.  Hard to tell.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2023, 09:32:00 pm »
Otherwise it is the remains of a patina after it was chemically cleaned, stripping most of the original patina.

Agree it’s hard to say about BD without the coin in hand, but another possibility is it was chemically stripped, the pitting lightly smoothed, and then treated with Jax which only partially took. 

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2023, 10:05:20 pm »
Thank you all for the suggestions! I will have to post an update once I have the coin in hand. If there's no active bd then I'll be happy with a good purchase. If there is, I'll see what I can do to savage it.

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2023, 11:49:49 am »
I have the coin in hand now, and the amount of green deposit doesn't appear to have changed from the seller's photo. I haven't gone over it with a brush yet, but I scrubbed those areas with a q-tip to see if the residue was powdery. Only very faint traces of green showed on the cotton leading me to think it's either not BD or that it's not very active right now. What do you think? I imagine it would still be wise to keep it separate from my other coins.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2023, 10:37:52 am »
OCRE is incorrect. Claudius' middle bronzes are differentiated by their reverse types.

Dupondii: CERES AVGVSTA S C

Asses: CONSTANTIAE AVGVSTI S C, LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S C, or S C Minerva advancing with spear and shield.
Curtis Clay

Offline Ben C4

• Praetorian
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 09:20:32 am »
OCRE is incorrect. Claudius' middle bronzes are differentiated by their reverse types.

Dupondii: CERES AVGVSTA S C

Asses: CONSTANTIAE AVGVSTI S C, LIBERTAS AVGVSTA S C, or S C Minerva advancing with spear and shield.

Thank you for clarifying that, Curtis!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity