Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New to the board and naive question  (Read 123 times)

Offline ENRICO P

• Legionary
New to the board and naive question
« on: January 30, 2024, 10:46:51 am »
I am new to this group and to collecting/exchanging coins. I have inherited a number of ancient coins from my granpa and I have just started sifting through them and try to learn.
I have often read that cleaning coins is a big no-no. Yet, there are coins that seem to have just old dirt stuck to it (e.g., see the picture - I believe this a Mauricius Tiberius from Theoupolis based on similar coins on vcoins). Are there some suggestions?

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: New to the board and naive question
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 02:27:36 pm »
Welcome Enrico. No naïve questions here. You may find this link useful, or you can use the « search » fonction with the word « cleaning » to find many threads about your question.
DT
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Uncleaned%20Ancient%20Coins

Offline ENRICO P

• Legionary
Re: New to the board and naive question
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 03:50:59 pm »
Thank you! I surely need to do a better search - the site you pointed to is great!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity