Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID Help Nice late Roman  (Read 857 times)

Offline epmunt

• Consul
ID Help Nice late Roman
« on: September 19, 2007, 07:02:40 pm »
ID Help

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
Re: ID Help Nice late Roman
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 07:03:57 pm »
Looks like a barborous VLPP to me

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 08:01:28 pm »
I think it not barbarous.
Seems a AE4 of Constans, probable RIC VIII, Rome 94, scarce.

Watch my example.

ser

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 08:22:01 pm »
I would lean to not barborous also - although it is a fringe die on a horrible flan - not unusual for an aE 4 of Constans though.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 03:36:48 am »
I could still be wrong, but the reverse is why I think Barb.  The main reasons being the curved palm "stalk" under the wreaths, the mismatched wreath heights, the length of the "tails" from the wreaths being uneven, the line above the exergue appears curved, and the victories are set at slightly different heights above that line.  Taking all of that into account, if not a barb, I would fire the engraver  :)

However if definitely not a barb, doesn't the mint mark say PLG?  and therefore RIC VIII Lyons 67 or 68?  RIC VIII Rome 94 should have mint marks of either RP, RS, RS, RQ or R :Greek_epsilon: , and I don't see that on epmunt's coin.  But, I'm not an expert and frequently get it wrong  ;D

gavignano

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 09:05:34 pm »
Mike - you do make some good points. The reverse does looks like a barbarous type. The obverse bust is what made me think legit - it just seems believable for a PLG coin of this type. Maybe the barb engraver had some high end copycat talent!

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 09:48:35 pm »
Mightn't there be occasionally a 'barb' die engraved by a local with an innate sympathy to varieties of styles?  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity