Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An extremely rare "staff" victoriatus  (Read 1139 times)

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
An extremely rare "staff" victoriatus
« on: December 04, 2016, 07:54:59 pm »
I recently picked up the following staff and club series victoriatus, an extremely rare type that was high on my want list due but that I doubted I'd ever be able to add on my budget. Luckily for me, it was misidentified by its previous owner, likely due to the fact that whoever originally cleaned it only partially cleaned it and had left much of the detail obscured by thick encrustations. I sent it off to be professionally cleaned and restored and got it back only a few days ago and am excited to finally be able to share it.

Find evidence suggests that the "staff and club" series(which this coin is a part of, though only the bronzes include the club symbol) was struck In Central Italy during the Second Punic War. While there is not enough find evidence to determine the exact mint location, given that the style of these types and the related "pentagram" issue has no clear relation with any of the other contemporary field mints(Sicily, Spain, Apulia, Sardinia) nor the Rome mint itself, and given that it is very likely that the duration and scope of operations in Etruria would require some form of coinage, it seems likely to me that the traditional theory of this series being minted in Etruria is likely correct. Crawford even goes as far as to suggest that the "staff and club" series was struck under the general C. Calpurnius Piso whom Livy records as being dispatched to Etruria to put down a revolt circa 209 B.C.

Full ID: Roman Republic AR Victoriatus(3.07g, 18mm). Anonymous("Staff and club" series). 209-208 B.C., Etrurian mint. Laureate head of Jupiter right. Border of dots / Victory standing right, crowning trophy with wreath; Staff between. ROMA in exergue. Line border. Crawford 106/1; Sydenham 209; RSC 24n.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline swampaggie

• Praetorian
Re: An extremely rare "staff" victoriatus
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 09:08:05 pm »
Nice pickup!  I would be interested to see a before photo of the coin with encrustations if you have one.
Jeremy

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:19:42 pm »
This is the coin before the professional cleaning. I dunno what the thick brown stuff was around Victory's wing but it was some kind of really tough crud. The silver poking through looks really bright in this picture due to the harsh lighting but had actually been exposed so long it had begun to tone as you can see by the slightly uneven toning the coin has in the "cleaned" picture above.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline orfew

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Historical Ancient Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 09:45:07 pm »
Great acquisitions. Congrats on adding such an interesting piece to your collection.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 03:12:24 am »
I agree nice coin  +++

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Norbert

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:10:34 am »
Congratulations on your find.
And interesting to hear that that coin cleaning is available as a service.

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 07:03:50 pm »
Congratulations on your find.
And interesting to hear that that coin cleaning is available as a service.

I have met a handful of people who do it actually. It is very nice for people like me who simply aren't cut out for cleaning coins. I never was any good at it and luckily only ever destroyed a handful of LRBs before deciding to give it up.

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:49:05 pm »

Very beautiful coin!

c.rhodes

All coins are guaranteed for eternity