Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RR Bronze 19mm  (Read 859 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
RR Bronze 19mm
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:28:51 pm »
Hello! One more. It's my first Roman Reublic coin (so very interesting to me)... everything so far has been imperial coins so I'm not sure where to start with identifying these as many look very similar. Any help would be appreciated for finding a reference. Thank you!

Josh

Roman Republic
Bronze 19mm
No weight available
Axis: 2

Offline 186

• Praetorian
Re: RR Bronze 19mm
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 06:55:26 am »

IMO your coin is a Roman Republic, Anonymous, 169-158 BC. AE Quadrans (19mm, 3.78g, 4h). Rome. Head of Hercules right, wearing lion-skin headdress; three dots behind / Prow right; star before, three dots below. Crawford 196/4; Sydenham 264d, however I am pretty new at this and i stand to be corrected.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »
Thank you 186,
As this is my first one of these coins I've been scanning through seemingly hundreds of these that look nearly identical.

I looked up the coin you referenced (pic below). It appears to be very close however there doesn't appear to be a star on mine and it also closely resembles others like the other (pic 2) below.

Although I value your opinion, if there are any other differing thoughts, I'd like to hear them.

In addition as I'm unfimiliar to these, what are the main differing attributes one looks for to narrow down an ID? Thanks so much for everyone's time and opinions!

Josh

Pic 1: Anonymous. 169-158 BC. Æ Quadrans (3.18 g, 4h). Rome mint.
Head of Hercules right, wearing lion-skin headdress; ••• (mark of value) behind. Rev. Prow right; star before, ••• (mark of value) below.
Crawford 196/4; Sydenham 264d.
VF, attractive dark green patina with light earthen dusting. Ex Numismatica Ars Classica 15 (18 May 1999), lot 47.

Pic 2: Anonymous. 211-206 BC. Æ Quadrans (21mm, 5.50 g, 5h). Second Punic War lightweight issue. Uncertain Sardinian, Sicilian, or non-Roman Italian mint. Head of Hercules right, wearing lion skin; three pellets (mark of value) to left / Prow right; three pellets (mark of value) below. McCabe Group H1.Qd.2; cf. Crawford 56/5 and 339/4a; cf. Sydenham 143c and 679c. Near VF, brown surfaces. Overstruck on an uncertain Punic or other issue.

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 10:58:02 pm »
Hi all,
Still looking into this one and have since come across many others that are similar from a wide range of dates. I'd really like to nail this one down as its driving me a bit crazy. 186 gave me a good lead but I'm just finding several that match more similarly.

Any other RR speciallists that can weigh in? I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!

Josh

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: Roman Republic Anon Bronze 19mm
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 05:03:47 pm »
Bumping my old thread because I never did positively ID this coin. I did get a lead from 186 but it lead me to many other coins that were just as close of a fit. Anyone out there that can help me ID the coin at the top of this thread (by a specific reference #)? Any help is appreciated!

Josh

Offline henrivd

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 05:29:29 pm »
Weight will be the answer... so weigh...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity