Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman coin  (Read 366 times)

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
Roman coin
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:04:22 pm »
Hello, Can someone tell me more about this Roman metal detecting find? It may be a bit difficult. Every information/reference is welcome.

Thanks,

Joost

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Roman coin
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 05:06:36 pm »
The second picture is upside down (a laureate head facing right).

Can you tell us the legends with the coin in your hand, a brighter picture with more contrast or after some cleaning (my proposal: after all)?

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
Hi Joost.

Not a follis (as you titled your images), earlier than that. Maybe Antoninus Pius?

Regards,

Alex.

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 02:08:21 am »
Thank you for the responses. After research i found a coint what got the same looks but this is a sestertius. My coin is 15 mm and weigt 2,5 grams. The letters i can read is XX COS II what should be TR POT XX COS IIII ore something like that. The obverse is totally unknown. The coin is very weak (while cleaning). I found Sestertius, As and dupondius with this looks but none littler coin. Maybe this information can help us out a little bit? Could my coin be a lime denarius?

Thanks,

Joost

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 04:31:16 am »
Probably, the coloration of the first picture looks like the material of a Limes-denarius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity