Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius wrong reverse? Tooled?  (Read 855 times)

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
Antoninus Pius wrong reverse? Tooled?
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:06:36 pm »
Just received this coin from e-bay auction.  I was looking to upgrade coin for this emperor but have been unable to find a match to the reverse on this one.  I also noted some lines near the inscription.
Open to any comments.  Coin is 30 mm max. and approx. 23 g

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
Re: Antoninus Pius wrong reverse? Tooled?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 01:09:09 am »
Looks to me like a match for RIC III 966;

Obv: ANTONINVS AVG PIVS PP IMP II

Rev: TR POT XX COS IIII - S C, Providentia standing, pointing with right hand, at a large globe, and holding a scepter.

It is listed in RIC as common issue of the mint of Rome in AD 156-157.

I do not see any signs of tooling.  The lines on the obverse appear to be normal flow lines.

It is also listed in Sear Roman Coins & Their Values (Vol. II) #4253

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 02:14:36 am »
Thank you very much.  You must have access to more info than I have found on line.  I really appreciate your help it adds a lot to my collection to  have this info.
Norm

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 09:42:53 am »
Hard to tell from the photo, but the right fields of both obverse and reverse may have been smoothed.  The areas around the letters show signs-but it could just be the lighting in the photo. A better photo would help.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 10:59:25 am »
Depressions around letters are not unusual and are often not the result of tooling or smoothing. It seems to have something to do with metal flow during striking.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 03:09:46 pm »
I was not aware of that phenomenon. You learn something new on the Forum every day.  Thanks, Joe!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity