Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 2 tiny coins  (Read 892 times)

Offline jgad

• Caesar
2 tiny coins
« on: June 04, 2011, 12:58:04 am »
At first I thought these may be byzantine issues but the now Im thinking Late roman at least for the one on the top. 

Does any one have any ideas?

Both coins are about 10.5mm and weigh 1 gram.

- Javier

rick2

Re: 2 tiny coins
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 08:32:58 am »
the top one could be arcadius which issued coins with a cross
the bottom one is too worn out

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 12:43:37 pm »
The top one could also be of Theodosius II.

The visible portion of the bottom one (what remains of the obverse) suggests it is Byzantine. Maybe one of the little nummi of Justinian? Just a guess. As Rick said, it is too worn to tell.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline justus

• Caesar
  • Quidquid agis prudenter agas et respice finem.
    • Trierer Münzfreunde
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 12:49:01 pm »
There are a lot of late roman emperors with "cross within wreath" at the reverse of their coinage. But what I can see at the 1st coin seems to be a double wreath. Isn't it possible, that it's something like a "cross surmounted by Christogram". So it also could be an early byzantine coin. Justin II (565-578) ?

regards Jürgen
Augusta Treverorum, Germany
Articles - https://independent.academia.edu/HJJost

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 12:54:21 pm »
Definitely possible. The type is common to that whole historical period in which the lines of Roman and Byzantine blur.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline jgad

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 02:19:48 pm »
Thank you all for your replies.  As to the double wreath that Jurgen mentions I had first thought the outer ring to be the die imprint...you can actually see the same uniform circle on a portion of the obverse, but if you look carefully you can also make out a dotted bead pattern on the very edge of the reverse of the coin.    In addition, In hand I can see "S" on the obverse side at about the 11:00 position.  Dont know if that helps....

- Javier

All coins are guaranteed for eternity