Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two unidentified coins  (Read 510 times)

Zeeuwsepiep

Two unidentified coins
« on: January 09, 2010, 10:17:00 am »
I would appreciate some guidance with regard to these two unidentified coins. Any tips on determinationsources would be very helpful as well!

Offline JRoME

• Consul
Re: Two unidentified coins
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 02:28:18 pm »
First looks like Valentinian I
obv: DN VALENTI-ANVS PF AVG
rev: SECVRITAS-REIPVBLICAE, Victory advancing left
D in left field , star ASISC (or star delta SISC) in ex.
RIC IX Siscia 15a, type xi rated common

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 05:08:39 pm »
Two sites are particularly handy for both beginning and advanced collectors: www.catbikes.ch (then to 'pages for Roman coin collectors') and you can download all files you need. A second good site is www.Wildwinds.com

Welcome to the board where there are a lot of your countrymen ;)

groetjes,

Frans

Offline Ryan C

• Caesar
  • FESTINA LENTE
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 01:02:00 am »
The second coin is of the Constantinian dynasty, looks like Constantine II to me Siscia mint, for the particulars go to the Wildwinds site previously mentioned, I have found it invalueable, although it is an incomplete reference most coins can be identified there.
Ryan Collins, happy member of the Forvm.

Zeeuwsepiep

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 08:28:04 am »
Thanks a lot folks. I can get pretty far but still have doubts about the final determination. Within categories there seems to be a lot of variation. I am new to it so it will take some time!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity