Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: medieval continential ?  (Read 696 times)

Mark Lundgren

medieval continential ?
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:59:18 pm »

This coin came w/ a bunch of late roman AE4's.  However, it seems to be a very small AR coin of a much later period (unless it's some byzantine coin I didn't run across).  Who knows how much this stuff gets mixed up.

It seems to be very hard silver or very white bronze, the fragment is 9 or 10 mm across, still making the original coin << 20 mm.

It looks like some of the long-cross denari (or other stuff like crusader coins that was floating around) from the 11th or 12th century, but the craftmanship is so good, that it's tough to place it in that era.

I sort of see an R and and E on the bigger cross side, that I'll call the obverse.

Any guesses ?

Thx,

-ML

Manzikert

Re: medieval continential ?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:27:49 am »
Hi Mark

I think I can make a fairly confident guess of early 12th century Hungarian, but i'm afraid i can't narrow it down any further.

Any chance of a clearer photo?

Best wishes

Alan

Mark Lundgren

better scan (I hope)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 12:38:10 pm »
I think ths is about the most clear my scanner could make it (and still file in the size limit)

Here's one side:

Mark Lundgren

better scan - part 2
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:45:52 pm »

Here's the other side, I think about as good as I could get it.

Thanks for taking a look.

-ML

All coins are guaranteed for eternity