Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Thasian Herakles  (Read 576 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Thasian Herakles
« on: July 29, 2014, 02:58:47 am »
More than half a century ago, when I had the privilege of taking a seminar with that year's Sather Professor, Georges Daux of the Ecole Française d'Athènes, though the seminar was on the epigraphy of Thasos it took us also into rules and regulations prohibiting setting up stuff alien to the cult of Herakles within its boundaries.  Thus one learned that such prohibitions only occur when there are in fact infringements and the the Herakles of Hollywood and comic books weren't what was really important: that is, I learned these things as realities.
So I was much taken by the 16mm plump little bronze, which in spite of its diminutive size has much of the character of a large statue.  And so I purchasd it, and here it is.

17 June 2014  AE16 4.20g axis 90°.  Thasos, 168-80 BC.  Le Rider, Thasiennes 56 (var monograml SNG Cop 1055 (var monogram, same); BMC Thrace p224, 95 (var same; SNG Dreer (var sane.
Bearded Herakles w/ lion skin to r.
Rev.Transport amphora, lying flat, within bow, over ThASION; club horizontal over monogram, Delta I M???
Data from Forum

Pat L.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Thasian Herakles
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 07:44:13 am »
That is indeed a remarkable portrait of Herakles, especially considering the small size of the coin.

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:35 pm »
You have a great eye, Pat.  Congrats on the exceptional Herakles portrait!

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 04:14:32 pm »

That is indeed a very fine example. The portrait details are very sharp. A worthy addition to your art collection.

c.rhodes

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 04:30:10 pm »
Thank you Pat ..to post it..
 Very nice and caracteristic portret.. +++

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity