Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Photography Suggestions appreciated  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
Photography Suggestions appreciated
« on: March 25, 2008, 04:09:12 pm »
I snapped some photos of some of my coins which I've posted in my gallery.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19504

Here's what I did,  Blue background is a folder.  Plopped the coin on the folder.  One light at an angle over the coin.  Pic snapped with a Sony 7.2 megapixel camera on macro setting.

Used ipicture on my mac to fade out everything but the blue ring you see around the coin.

That's it.  I think I kid of like the look in general but that I need another light source as well.

Any other suggestions?

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Photography Suggestions appreciated
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:14:09 am »
That's not a bad result for the technique you describe.

The colour tone looks a little redder than real life.  This might be your software reacting to the blue background! 

Some of the photos - not all of them, and not even all the highly 3-dimensional ones - are a bit too dark at the bottom or bottom right.  You might consider using a reflector.  A piece of white paper makes a good one.  Or maybe positioning the light more vertically above the coin.  This might do away with the need for a second lamp.

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 11:22:53 am »
Thanks for the tip.  I tried the light right above and I wound up with a huge shadow from my camera and my hands.  I'll try the reflector.  I've also been reading up on some of the techniques those of you who are more adept and have better equipment than I do use.  Looks like a few of them may be easily adaptable.  Next time a get a few hours free I may give it a shot.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 08:53:40 am »
OK, I've rephotographed several of my Achaean League coins to get rid of the blue background.

My new amateur's method is:

1.  Mac white laptop as background.
2.  Little tube that holds exacto blades as pedestal.
3.  Incandescent bedside lamp as lighting
4.  two 50-round 9mm parabellum bullet boxes on either side of pedestal to set camera on.
5.  Sony cybershot 7.2 megapixel cameral on incandescent light setting, 200 iso, no flash on a 2 second timer.

Here are thumbnails of the befores.  The afters can be seen in my gallery.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 11:00:06 am »
I'd suggest the manual white balance as those in your gallery all have
a yellow/orange tint now. On my camera you can do it with the touch of a button.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 04:33:16 pm »
Thanks, I'll check that out.  The editing software I have doesn't really do a very good job of changing that type of stuff. 

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:55:39 pm »
ok  third try on the achaean league coins.  used my mac to try to correct the white balancing.  thoughts?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity