Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID - Byzantine Follis  (Read 414 times)

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Help ID - Byzantine Follis
« on: February 20, 2020, 03:38:05 am »
Help ID - Byzantine Follis (29mm. - 10 gr)

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
Re: Help ID - Byzantine Follis
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 05:19:04 pm »
Your coin is a typical confusing Byzantine overstrike. Both pictures show a reverse, one of the overtype and one of the undertype. Apart from vague hints of consular robes, the obverse of the overtype simply isn't there because of a poor strike.

The left hand picture (large  :M2:)  is the reverse of a follis of Tiberius II Constantine or Maurice Tiberius. Since I believe all the year 8 folles of Tiberius Constantine are marked   :G2: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: and not  :U: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: , I think it has to be SBCV  532 of Maurice, mint of Antioch, of course.

There's not enough surviving detail in the right-hand picture (large  :Greek_Mu:) to be sure. I think I can just about make out an N in exergue, which would fit with a CON mintmark. And maybe the regnal year is III. The officina is B. My best guess would be Justin II  SBCV 360. I suppose Maurice SBCV 493 or 494 might also be possible as candidates.

Bill R.

Offline Crassus

• Caesar
Re: Help ID - Byzantine Follis
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 05:26:01 pm »
Your coin is a typical confusing Byzantine overstrike. Both pictures show a reverse, one of the overtype and one of the undertype. Apart from vague hints of consular robes, the obverse of the overtype simply isn't there because of a poor strike.

The left hand picture (large  :M2:)  is the reverse of a follis of Tiberius II Constantine or Maurice Tiberius. Since I believe all the year 8 folles of Tiberius Constantine are marked   :G2: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: and not  :U: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Iota: , I think it has to be SBCV  832 of Maurice, mint of Antioch, of course.

There's not enough surviving detail in the right-hand picture (large  :Greek_Mu:) to be sure. I think I can just about make out an N in exergue, which would fit with a CON mintmark. And maybe the regnal year is III. The officina is B. My best guess would be Justin II  SBCV 360. I suppose Maurice SBCV 493 or 494 might also be possible as candidates.

Bill R.

Thank you so much dear friend

All coins are guaranteed for eternity