Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Reference for Philip !  (Read 405 times)

Offline solon

• Caesar
Reference for Philip !
« on: March 14, 2019, 04:06:45 pm »

The weight is also around 4.00g. and the coin seems to belong to Philip of Prusa ad Olympum but I had no luck finding any reference for this last coin!

Thank you for your help and time.

Offline shanxi

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Reference for Philip !
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 04:39:50 pm »
Eros reverse, probably ANS 1944.100.42358, but without picture.

http://numismatics.org/collection/1944.100.42358

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 05:00:13 pm »
Dear Solon, Ralf, & Board,

There is a die-identical specimen of this Prusa ad Olympum type for Philip I pictured on Francis Jarman's website/catalog: Eros on Roman Provincial Coinage:

http://eroscoin.blogspot.com/2011/03/type-07-eros-holding-torch-downwards.html

Again, only the ANS catalog number is cited as a "reference."  For his research, Francis probably would appreciate knowing the diameter, weight, and die axis of your coin, Solon. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline solon

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 10:05:25 am »

Thank you Ralf and thanks to you also Mark (I have sent a mail to Francis Jarman, I hope it helps).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity