Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Leo III or Leo V  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Leo III or Leo V
« on: March 10, 2018, 04:55:01 pm »
Hello ! Please help me to identify this coin. And help me to understand the difference between Leo III & Constantine (Sear 1516) and Leo V & Constantine (Sear 1630). These types look similar, the only difference noted in the description is akakia held by Leo III & Constantine. I tried to search for examples and found a lot of coins without akakia, looking absolutely similar to Leo V, but attributed as Leo III. Are they all misattributed ?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Leo III or Leo V
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 12:17:40 am »
Leo V.  The Leo III coins are more scarce. They also tend to have a more squat M

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 11:43:43 am »
Thank you Obryzum.
I see many dealers use this similarity to sell Leo V as Leo III  :)
Finally I have found on the internet an example where akakia is clearly visible. It is the main detail that matters, am I right ?

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 07:27:35 pm »
Other telltale signs include the break of the legend. The Leo III coins usually, but not always, break with ONS between the heads.  The Leo V coins usually break with SC between the heads.

If the officina is B then it is always Leo III.  

The Leo V coins have a legend that usually ends with a  :Tcurl:  The Leo III legends usually, but not always, end before getting to the  :Tcurl:

Two examples of Leo III:

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 08:24:47 pm »
Another thing I have noticed is that the quality of the metal for the Leo V coins is different.  For some reason the coins seem to have more trouble developing a hard patina.  During cleaning it is very common to see copper exposed, as in the coin you posted at the top.  

Offline Quant.Geek

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 08:51:48 pm »
There is a much easier way to tell a Leo III from a Leo V coin.  Aside from the legends, the coin is very much different.  For instance, in Leo V coins, there are no arms on either Leo nor Constantine:

Byzantine Empire: Leo V the Armenian (813-820) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1630; DOC 7)

Obv: LЄOҺ S C-OҺSC; Crowned facing busts of Leo and Constantine, each wearing chlamys
Rev: Large M; cross above, X/X/X to left, N/N/N to right, A below

whereas, in Leo III coins, both Leo and Constantine are holding akakai and you can see there arms:

Offline Skolot

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 04:56:02 am »
Thank you all ! Exactly what I needed.  +++

All coins are guaranteed for eternity