Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Diocletian gold plated AE  (Read 565 times)

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Diocletian gold plated AE
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:22:05 am »
I recently bought this coin, which was included in a lot for which I was bidding for a different coin.  I don't know much about attributing late Roman AE, but this looks to me like Diocletian, Cyzicus, RIC VI 16a Mintmark  :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Gamma:

Assuming that's right, my question is this:  Why was it plated?  I cannot find an Aureus this was meant to imitate.  I know that some late Roman gold coins were plated for reasons other than forgery, but I cannot find any resources.  Can anyone help?  Thank you!

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Diocletian gold plated AE
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 05:01:34 am »
Definitely a contemporary forgery! The layer of gold looks quite thick, so it may even have passed for a real one, for some time.
I love this kind of coins - much nicer than an ordinary silver-clad antoninianus in good quality.

Frans

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:03:56 am »
Dear Frans,

Thank you for you reply, but I have to say that it leaves me a bit confused.  Isn't this a genuine bronze coin that has been plated with gold for some unknown reason, perhaps for ceremonial purposes?  I don't think we can call it a forgery unless it was intended to fool someone.  But who would be fooled?  And how would they be fooled?  There were no real solid gold coins that looked anything remotely like this, were there? 

obryzum

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:14 am »
There are two ways you can get away with such a forgery is: in a great mass as present to a tribal chief/ big commerce and the second by fooling people who never in their lives see a gold coin. Ceremonial use would be an offering to a god - but that would be dangerous: you could infuriate the god!

Frans

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:22:57 am »
Remember, a forger only had to fool someone once. After that the coin was in circulation it was no longer his problem. No doubt money laundering took place then, as now.

The coin below is a copy of a solidus of Valentinian II in silver, plated gold. It can't have fooled anyone for long though as it is larger than the real thing but weighs a lot less and the colour is off as well. It has obviously been 'found out' as it has lines scratched on it and presumably holed later for jewellery.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity