Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: This is corrosion or more gunk to be cleaned?  (Read 792 times)

Offline seawolfssn

• Praetorian
This is corrosion or more gunk to be cleaned?
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:31:10 pm »
Got a nice little Valentinian I coin cleaned up as best I can.  The obverse is very nice with a clear portrait and full legend around the edge.

The reverse is not so nice, I've cleaned enough to see some of the legend and bring out the central image.  But I'm afraid to do anything to the bottom and bottom right of the coin.  I'm not sure if it's corrosion that's permanantly destroyed those areas or just more hard dirt to clean off.  I'm leaning towards the former since I do see some dirt that's clearly covering pits.  But if it's gunk, I could probably get a more legible mint mark but I'm probably being too over-eager, yea?

I've soaked and scrubbed and everything else came up pretty nicely so it's almost likely corrosion.

I should just wax it and be happy with this nice find, right?

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
Re: This is corrosion or more gunk to be cleaned?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:07:31 pm »
This case seems to be very much a personal call.... I have no doubt yo could bring out a bit more detail with more cleaning, but perhaps you will lose more of that attractive green patina,  ( Im pretty sure that is what it is, it dont look like BD from your photos..) , Personally I prefer a pretty coin over exact attribution, so I would wax it and call it done!!  +++ ;D +++

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:31 pm »
This coin has either been chemically cleaned or damaged by being in acidic ground. The green is what's left of the patina.
Andreas Reich

Offline seawolfssn

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 05:50:01 pm »
Yeah definitely not BD, the light I've got washes the picture out and it's very pale looking but it's definitely patina.

And if the coin has corroded in those areas and re-patinated like that on top of it then that's as good as it's going to get so I'll call it done.

Thanks for the second opinions :)

Wax ahoy!

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 05:09:09 pm »
Please post a "post wax" picture, as I am sure it will look much nicer... It will be interesting to see!

Regards,
Lee.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity