Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Kushan coins with Kartikeya(?) - please ID  (Read 943 times)

Offline Orpio

• Consul
Kushan coins with Kartikeya(?) - please ID
« on: July 21, 2012, 03:13:47 am »
Hi,

I have problem with full identyfication of below coin. I'm almost sure that it is Kushan or Indian coin - but I need more information, any reference. On the reverse probably is Kartikeya with peacock, on the reverse any goddess(?). Diameter of coin: 23-25 mm and weight 10,7 g. - maybe tetradrachm(?).Could you help me?

Best regards,
Piotr

Manzikert

Re: Kushan coins with Kartikeya(?) - please ID
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 05:11:07 pm »
Hi

It's not Kushan but a coin of the Yahudeya tribe/confederation, 3rd-4th century AD: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaudheya.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Orpio

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 02:26:16 am »
Thanks Alan!

Maybe you (or anyone) know where I can find more information about Yahudeya tribe/confederation coinage? I found only http://www.grifterrec.com/coins/india/ancientindia3.html

Best regards,
Piotr

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »
Hi Orpio

I'm afraid I can't point you at any other websites, and I only know of one book which has a substantial section on the Yaudheyas, which could be available to you somewhere:

Sharan, M.K., 'Tribal Coins: A Study', 1972 (Chapter 2, pp.65-147 is on the Yaudheyas)

Also, Mitchiner, M., 'Oriental coins and their values: Ancient and Classical World' illustrates several different types.

Most other references I've seen have just been short chapters in books or papers in journals.

Best wishes

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity