Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin cabinet/tray size mystery  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Coin cabinet/tray size mystery
« on: May 12, 2012, 04:43:29 pm »
Hello all,

A few years ago I purchased a coin cabinet with 48 trays at an antique auction.  The trays appear to have had inserts, which have since been removed.  I have been looking sporadically online for trays that might fit, and have not found any.  I am contemplating making my own by drilling holes in black plexiglass sheets and lining the bottom of the drawer with non-abrasive cloth.  However, I will probably never get around to actually doing that. 

The inner dimensions of the drawers are as follows:

Width:  9 7/8" or 250mm
Depth: 11 3/4" or 295mm

Does anyone know if there is a commercially-available tray or insert that will fit into these drawers?  Any other thoughts for fitting the trays out would also be appreciated!

Regards,
Cliff
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Coin cabinet/tray size mystery
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:43:49 am »
Hello all,

A few years ago I purchased a coin cabinet with 48 trays at an antique auction.  The trays appear to have had inserts, which have since been removed.  I have been looking sporadically online for trays that might fit, and have not found any.  I am contemplating making my own by drilling holes in black plexiglass sheets and lining the bottom of the drawer with non-abrasive cloth.  However, I will probably never get around to actually doing that.  

Width:  9 7/8" or 250mm

Does anyone know if there is a commercially-available tray or insert that will fit into these drawers?  Any other thoughts for fitting the trays out would also be appreciated!

Regards,
Cliff

How deep is the recess? I ask this because the standard museum / archival method of storing coins is in individual plastic shallow boxes that sit loose in a recessed tray such as this (although the trays may be metal). The reasons museums do this is two-fold, firstly it allows the coin to be removed from the tray without handling it, and secondly the coin it retained with its documents right until the moment you need to examine it in hand. So you might want to consider buying coin holders such as lighthouses or quadrams, and fitting out the trays with them. A whole lot less work and expense than your potential solution. The museum trays I've seen are open at top, small square plastic boxes, not sure where they come from.

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:30:41 am »
Thanks for the reply, Andrew. The recesses are about 1 centimeter. I probably should get some nice trays like the ones you have pictured in the past, but I just like the cabinet. Right now it is serving as a DVR stand and looks quite nice in the living room. Maybe that'll have to be its fate.
Sosius

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 10:06:34 am »
Thanks for the reply, Andrew. The recesses are about 1 centimeter. I probably should get some nice trays like the ones you have pictured in the past, but I just like the cabinet. Right now it is serving as a DVR stand and looks quite nice in the living room. Maybe that'll have to be its fate.

If it is 1cm, then Abafil trays (those nice ones I pictured) or other relatively slim trays should fit within your quite deep trays. But you would be advised to check.

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:20:09 pm »
Thanks Andrew.  I looked at some Abafil trays online, and they are either too big or too small (length and/or width).  I would either have to cut the trays to fit, which would not be ideal, or use the smaller size, which would only fill about 1/2 of the surface area of the drawers.  I assume there were once some trays that fit inside the drawers.  If my only option option is to have trays made, then I might just abandon the fine old cabinet and buy one of the available commercial systems. 

Pictures of the cabinet are included, in case seeing it makes anyone think of a tray that might fit.

Cliff
Sosius

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:25 am »
Hello all,

A few years ago I purchased a coin cabinet with 48 trays at an antique auction.  The trays appear to have had inserts, which have since been removed.  I have been looking sporadically online for trays that might fit, and have not found any.  I am contemplating making my own by drilling holes in black plexiglass sheets and lining the bottom of the drawer with non-abrasive cloth.  However, I will probably never get around to actually doing that.  

Width:  9 7/8" or 250mm

Does anyone know if there is a commercially-available tray or insert that will fit into these drawers?  Any other thoughts for fitting the trays out would also be appreciated!

Regards,
Cliff

How deep is the recess? I ask this because the standard museum / archival method of storing coins is in individual plastic shallow boxes that sit loose in a recessed tray such as this (although the trays may be metal). The reasons museums do this is two-fold, firstly it allows the coin to be removed from the tray without handling it, and secondly the coin it retained with its documents right until the moment you need to examine it in hand. So you might want to consider buying coin holders such as lighthouses or quadrams, and fitting out the trays with them. A whole lot less work and expense than your potential solution. The museum trays I've seen are open at top, small square plastic boxes, not sure where they come from.

Most library supply companies will have these.  Gaylord and Highsmith are two that I use frequently.  If you ask, they'll send you a catalogue.

Nick

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 04:43:40 pm »
Thanks, Nick.  I'll check out those companies.

Cliff
Sosius

All coins are guaranteed for eternity