Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: An Ordinary Denarius From Ephesus  (Read 556 times)

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
An Ordinary Denarius From Ephesus
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:32:16 pm »
I just received this denarius of Vespasian in the mail today. On the face of it, the coin seems like another ordinary denarius minted at Ephesus, and for the most part it is...however, it's the fact that this is just a run of the mill offering from that mint that says so much about how good it really was.

I bought this for the portrait (and I needed this type with the EPHE mint mark), and what a portrait it is! Vespasian is shown here with his lips slightly parted as if he is about to speak, the eyes look alive, and the portrait with its bull neck and high forehead exudes an air of confidence. The reverse on the other hand looks a bit rough - it's off center and so worn poor Titus and Domitian are faceless, Titus looking more worse for wear. Still, enough is left of the engravers hand to see the stylish drapery of the robes and the regal stance of the two princes.

A truly great mint's artistic brilliance will shine through even on worn examples, this coin I believe illustrates the point perfectly.

RIC 1430 (C), BMC 456, RSC 250
Ephesus mint, 71 AD
Obv - IMP CAESAR VESPAS AVG COS III TR P P P; Head of Vespasian, laureate, r.
Rev-LIBERI IMP AVG VESPAS; Titus and Domitian veiled, togate, stg. front (heads l.), each with a patera; in exergue, EPHE

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: An Ordinary Denarius From Ephesus
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:25 pm »
David I was watching this one for a long time and almost bought it myself.  Glad you got it, looks like a great coin and one that is highly sought after.  3 for 1 deal!

Online FlaviusDomitianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery:
Re: An Ordinary Denarius From Ephesus
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 04:31:10 am »
Great addition! I like this type!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity