Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Strange provincial silver coin?  (Read 512 times)

ed3719

Strange provincial silver coin?
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:34:19 pm »
Hello Everyone,

This is a peculiar coin (one of two I have acquired).  It is 19mm (sorry, but I don't have the weight).  On one side appears to be Pax seated r., holding a scepter and a palm, with an inscription.  On the other is either Tyche or a city goddess kneeling before what appears to be an emperor.  Any help is greatly appreciated?

Best,
Edward

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Strange provincial silver coin?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 08:15:42 pm »
You mean bronze, don't you?
It appears to be a coin of Tiberius, struck at Sardis, RPC 2991.
http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=29384
I am troubled by the cast appearance, but perhaps it is just the effect of hard years.
PeteB

ed3719

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 09:14:02 pm »
Thanks Pete.

The coin actually is silver.  As for it being a cast copy, I am uncertain.  It is very worn, as you see.  It came from a collector who found it in the 1960s in Turkey.  I have a second one with some minor variations, which might be due to wear.  I'm leaning towards casting though, but why silver?  I do not know.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2009, 02:36:42 am »
The type is definitely RPC 2991 as Akropolis suggests above. If so, it should be bronze. It definitely LOOKS bronze in your photos and the appearance of the corrosion suggests a bronze or copper-based material rather than silver. I think that that same corrosion accounts for the cast-like appearance but the coin looks real enough, though it really SHOULD be an AE, rather than an AR if genuine.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity