Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip 1 Mule?  (Read 437 times)

Offline Doug H

• Praetorian
Philip 1 Mule?
« on: November 03, 2008, 01:58:01 pm »
The reverse of this Philip 1 antoninianus appears to be UBERITAS AVG, which isn't listed anywhere for this emperor. I'm guessing this is a mule with a Trajan Decius reverse. I'd be interested in any views on this, and I'd especially like to know if this fake is ancient or modern?

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Philip 1 Mule?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 02:13:52 pm »
Hard to tell if the mule draws on Traianus Decius or some other emperor from mid-century; from the pattern of wear I would say this one's ancient.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 03:04:25 pm »
Certainly ancient, a nice fourrée!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline thimar11

• Praetorian
    • Antoninianii from Antioch under the reign of Philip the Arab
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 05:39:07 pm »
Yes, a genuine ancient imitation made of bronze with silver plating. As supposed by Doug H, the reverse type was used by Decius in 250, so the coin has been struck after Philip death.

Such mule is not a rare thing because most of fouree coins from this period are hybrid types. What's interesting in that specimen is the use of the short late legend IMP PHILIPPVS AVG which is quite rare - for unknown reason - on ancient fouree coin of Philip ; this is only the 4th one I see when more than 45 coins with long early legend IMP M IVL PHILIPPVS AVG are known to me...

Thibaut
Antoninianii from Antioch under the reign of Philip the Arab :
http://marchal.thibaut.free.fr/e_index.htm (English & French)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity