Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help ID: Byzantine Justin & Sophia? 40 Nummi Constantinople? Workshop? X?  (Read 257 times)

Ron M2

Hi All,
My first post here and not an Ancient collector so bear with me. I was recently given this coin and have done some research on it. Appears to be: Justinian & Sophia - (Large M) 40 Nummi follis, Anno X (year 10?), CON (Constantinople mint), workshop  :Greek_Delta:? Not sure what the triangle is. Thoughts? Are all of these accurate? Coin is much more impressive than the pictures show. Would really appreciate some help n this one.

Ron M2

I know the  :Greek_Delta: foundry/workshop mark is often confused as an  :Greek_Alpha: but this one sure does look like a true  :Greek_Delta: which I have not been able to locate in various fora. What makes these collectible other than condition? Year? City of origin? Workshop?

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
You are correct.  This issue of their 10th regnal year corresponds to 574 - 575 A.D.  The  :Greek_Delta: is the Greek letter Delta and indicates the fourth officina.  Officina were workshops within Byzantine mints.  At the mints Greek letters were used to indicate the officina from A (1st) to IE (15th).

This is a relatively common coin in poor condition.  That impairs its collectibility Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Ron M2

Thank you very much for this information.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity