Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Alexandrian Diobol - Vespasian or...?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Alexandrian Diobol - Vespasian or...?
« on: March 17, 2018, 12:40:28 am »
Hi all,
I have this Alexandrian Diobol (25mm, 8.5g)... It was listed as Vespasian but the obverse legend doesn't seem to fit with others with a similar reverse (AYTOK KAIΣ ΣEBA OYEΣΠAΣIANOY)... unless I'm not seeing the text correctly.

Is this Vespasian? Or maybe Titus/Domitian? Or someone else? If so... what is the legend and what would be a reference?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Josh

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Re: Alexandrian Diobol - Vespasian or...?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:32:55 am »

Milne lists for Vitellius:

:Greek_Omega: :Greek_Lambda: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Omicron: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Iota: :Greek_Tau: :Greek_Kappa: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Iota: :GreeK_Sigma: :GreeK_Sigma: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Beta: :Greek_Gamma: :Greek_epsilon: :Greek_Rho: :Greek_Mu: :Greek_Alpha: :Greek_Upsilon_2: :Greek_Tau:

Serapis diobol #377, 378.

Pekka K

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:30:36 am »
Wow... thank you Pekka! That is amazing and unexpected. After doing some follow-up it matches. I can't seem to find a photo anywhere though...
It is in Sear, referring to RPC 5376, BMCG 219, Milne 378 as an Obol rather than Diobol. Can anyone provide a photo of a reference example?

Thank you!

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 05:33:24 am »
From RPC:

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:54:21 pm »
Thank you Pekka,
After continued searching... this is still the only photo of one of these I've been able to find anywhere. Thanks again!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity