Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine AR Basilikon or Imitation? (Attribution)  (Read 712 times)

Offline Evangelos T

• Legionary
Byzantine AR Basilikon or Imitation? (Attribution)
« on: June 10, 2017, 06:29:50 pm »
Hello to everybody,

Please help me attribute this coin:
It looks like an Andronikos II Palaeologos basilikon, but ...
(AR 2,10gr 20mm)

Thank you in advance.

Offline glebe

• Caesar
    • Glebe Coins
Re: Byzantine AR Basilikon or Imitation? (Attribution)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 06:11:56 pm »
Here is another rather different example currently on offer from CNG as a "contemporary imitation".
I'm not sure about this description but I can't suggest a better one.
Note the garbled legends and varying weights.

Ross G.

Offline Evangelos T

• Legionary
Byzantine AR Basilikon or Imitation? (Attribution)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 02:58:37 pm »
"Glebe",

thanks for your answer, very helpful and not.
It's definitely an imitation as you said, but it's not only the legends or the weight. It's the obverse, too.

The image of Virgin in both coins is ''unique'' for that type (SB 2402), while the reverse looks similar.
As for the obverse, it matches, in general, to SB 2403 (without B's, etc.)

CNG's sample is more crude, while this one has been struck quite carefully, sure from different dies in my opinion, if they finally belong to the same type.

Thanks again,
Evangelos C. Tzimas

All coins are guaranteed for eternity