Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hellenistic terracotta protome?  (Read 1510 times)

Offline Jan

• Consul
Hellenistic terracotta protome?
« on: August 08, 2016, 12:11:10 pm »
I bought this item in a recent general auction without knowing exactly what I was buying. It came from a collection that was assembled in the 1950s to 1980s. Several other pieces that were sold where certainly genuine, but I am not sure about this one even though it looks very convincing. The length of the piece is 120 mm. If genuine and antique, which time period and region could it come from? Is it a godess? And how was it originally used?
Any help and comments are appreciated!
Jan

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Hellenistic terracotta protome?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 03:43:29 pm »
Mt guess--and perhaps it is not more than a guess--is that an eighteenth century Italian terracotta architectural ornament.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity