Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: big heavy ptolemaic kingdom coin  (Read 474 times)

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
big heavy ptolemaic kingdom coin
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:09:32 am »
I would like to know what exact coin this one is. Ptolemy VI and the weight is 37,94 grams and 34 mm. Could this be a tetrobol ore hemidrachm? Do someone have a reference? I take a look to this page,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2180

I can't determinate it exactly. Portrait isn't that good also.

Thanks,

Joost

Offline J. B.

• Consul
Re: big heavy ptolemaic kingdom coin
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:54:55 am »
Hi, there is not clear answer to your question since there was monetary reform around 200 BC.

Look at this site: http://www.megagem.com/ancient/ptolemy_series.html

your coin is: "Sv1423v1" if you read articel above maybe you get some answers.

Best regards
Jan

Offline PtolemAE

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • PtolemyBronze.com
    • The PtolemAE Project - Ptolemaic Bronzes
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 04:00:39 pm »
I would like to know what exact coin this one is. Ptolemy VI and the weight is 37,94 grams and 34 mm. Could this be a tetrobol ore hemidrachm? Do someone have a reference? I take a look to this page,

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2180

I can't determinate it exactly. Portrait isn't that good also.

Thanks,

Joost

The exact time of this coin type isn't precisely known - around Ptolemy V or maybe a bit before or after.  There are three varieties of these largest two-eagle coins, apparently from about that same time period, that are otherwise unmarked (no monograms or symbols like cornucopia, etc.):  two with very large Ammon horns emerging from either the top of the head (like this one, the more common) or from the front of the forehead (less common), and one more type with an Ammon horn that looks like all the other Ptolemaic Zeus Ammon bronzes (fairly small Ammon horn on the side of the head). 

Svoronos didn't distinguish among them and thus they have one catalog number - Sv1423.  They've since been 'noticed' and treated as varieties of Sv 1423.  All three varieties apparently are the same 'denomination' (they have the same average weight of about 39-40 grams, statistically indistinguishable from one another).

But it's hard telling what this denomination actually is (drachm? hemidrachm?  100 'new' drachmae?) since the scheme of relationships between bronze money and other things (real goods like grain and oil, silver money, etc.) changed dramatically at about that time and so did the scheme of weight/value relationships for Ptolemaic bronze coins that had been constant for the preceding 60 years. There was also a civil war that cut Egypt in two for about 15-20 years around the same time that affected coin production and circulation in different areas of Egypt.

While the 'regular horn' Sv1423 coins are typically well-made Ptolemaic bronzes (i.e. fairly round, nicely struck, nice design execution, etc.), these 'large Ammon horn' hefty coins often seem much more crude and hastily made, which adds a bit to their mystery.   

The best we may be able to do for a denomination guess is to note that in this time period this was the largest/heaviest bronze coin issued by the Alexandria mint, which suggests it is not a 'fraction'. 

PtolemAE

Offline extravaganza

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:20:49 pm »
Thank you both for this information.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity