Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: MARK ANTONY AND OCTAVIAN silver Den w/ smiles... unusual for the style?  (Read 2046 times)

siranthonyac

Hello,

Does this MARK ANTONY AND OCTAVIAN appear authentic?

I was surprised to see one with this much detail however; both portraits do not look quite right to me. The reason is, both have obvious smiles one their faces; that is highly unusual for the style, although I could not find another example of this coin, with facial details, for comparison.

The examples I did find were worn so that most of the portraits were more like outlines.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Anthony

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
One very recent neg and two feedback mutually withdrawn. Draw your own conclusions.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Here's a reasonable ;D one for comparison. Not mine though.  :'(

Alex.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
they are looking a bit pleased with themselves. You can tell the difference though.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

siranthonyac

Hi,

Thanks... I was sorta wishing to hear... "oh year, that's a rare die, it's real, with smiles"... but, I figured it wasn't authentic.

On the bright side, I am getting much better at spotting fakes since I started reading this forvm.

Anthony

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    In my opinion the style of the coin is correct.  It's either authentic or a cast of an authentic coin, so preserving the correct style.  
    However if you want such a coin my advice would be to go to a more reliable seller.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity