Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Aigina  (Read 1809 times)

pyrrhus

Aigina
« on: August 07, 2004, 05:21:04 pm »
Hi friends,
I want your help about this turtle

I'm suspicious. if it is genuine.
The weight of the coin is 12  gr.
What dou you think ?

Thank you for the comments.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re:Aigina
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 08:45:28 am »
Looking at Coinarchives, weight should be in the 12.2 to 12.4 gm range for a coin of this series with light wear.  A slightly lower weight would not be unknown, but does start to raise questions. Style looks fine and is certainly better that that of the common cast fakes.  The coin appears to have been overcleaned, but the various scratches, dark spots and possible remnants of horn silver at 2 o'clock all argue for genuine.  All of these effects could also have been caused by the application of chemicals to a cast coin, so I'd hesitate to say more based just on a photo of the obverse.  Anyone recognize the countermark from published specimens?
Eugene

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
Re:Aigina
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 09:15:23 pm »
And do you really want to try to purchase an ancient coin from a guy in China who is running a no-reserve private auction and has private feedback?  Why don't you just flush your hard-earned dollars down the toilet?  There are 500 ancient dealers and collectors out there looking at every single ebay coin and they are much more experienced in this market than you.  Take risks on $10 or $20 coins, not $500 coins.
Eugene

All coins are guaranteed for eternity