The Age of Gallienus
Ancient Coin Collecting 101
Ancient Coin Prices 101
Ancient Coin Dates
Ancient Coin Lesson Plans
Ancient Coins & Modern Fakes
Ancient Oil Lamps
Ancient Wages and Prices
Ancient Weights and Scales
Anonymous Class A Folles
Armenian Numismatics Page
A Cabinet of Greek Coins
Caesarean and Actian Eras
Campgates of Constantine
A Case of Counterfeits
Byzantine Christian Themes
Coins of Pontius Pilate
Conditions of Manufacture
Corinth Coins and Cults
Countermarked in Late Antiquity
Denarii of Otho
Die Alignment 101
Dictionary of Roman Coins
Doug Smith's Ancient Coins
Edict on Prices
ERIC - Rarity Tables
The Evolving Ancient Coin Market
Facing Portrait of Augustus
Fel Temp Reparatio
Fertility Pregnancy and Childbirth
Friend or Foe
The Gallic Empire
Greek Coin Denominations
Greek Mythology Link
Greek Numismatic Dictionary
Hellenistic Names & their Meanings
Helvetica's ID Help Page
The Hexastyle Temple of Caligula
Identifying Ancient Metal Arrowheads
Illustrated Ancient Coin Glossary
Important Collection Auctions
Islamic Rulers and Dynasties
Julian II: The Beard and the Bull
People in the Bible Who Issued Coins
Imperial Mints of Philip the Arab
Later Roman Coinage
Library of Ancient Coinage
Life in Ancient Rome
List of Kings of Judea
Maps of the Ancient World
Museum Collections Available Online
The [Not] Cuirassed Elephant
Not in RIC
Numismatic Excellence Award
Pi-Style Athens Tetradrachms
Pricing and Grading Roman Coins
Reading Judean Coins
Representations of Alexander the Great
Roman Coin Attribution 101
Rome and China
Satyrs and Nymphs
The Sign that Changed the World
Silver Content of Parthian Drachms
Star of Bethlehem Coins
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum
Taras Drachms with Owl Left
The Temple Tax
The Temple Tax Hoard
Travels of Paul
Tribute Penny Debate Continued (2015)
Tribute Penny Debate Revisited (2006)
Uncleaned Ancient Coins 101
What I Like About Ancient Coins
Who was Trajan Decius
Latin: Valor (courage) of the Emperor.
|Please add updates or make corrections to the NumisWiki text version as appropriate.|
- Bare head of Severus Alexander in military dress walking to right holding a spear, with a soldier who carries a trophy and holding a shield; Victory stands behind the emperor crowning him. Obv: IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, bust of Severus Alexander right; bronze medallion.
- Gordian III in military dress standing left, receiveing a globe presented to him by the radiate Sun, and holding a spear; he is crowned by Valour standing behind him leaning on a spear; to left a soldier standing holding a spear and a standard; in the middle a child standing facing and three military standards; on the ground two captives seated. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FELIX AVG, laureate bust of Gordian III right, or laureate bust left, holding a sceptre; on his chest the emperor is represented on horseback to left, raising the right hand and precceded by Victory; bronze medallion.
- Gordian III seated left, crowned by Victory standing, who holds a palm; in front two soldiers holding standards; in the middle a figure standing facing; at the side of the emperor a cuirass and shield uopn the ground. Obv: IMP GORDIANVS PIVS FELIX AVG, laureate bust of Gordianus right; bronze medallion.
- Naked Hercules standing right, leaning on a club placed upon a rock, and covered with a lion's skin; on gold and billon coins of Gallienus.
- Helmeted Mars standing left, placing foot on helmet and holding a branch and sceptre; in the field X; on billon coins of Gallienus and bronze AE3 of Claudius II.
- Helmeted head of Gallienus. Rev: SALONIA AVG, bust of Salonia; bronze AE2.
- Trophy, with javelins, shield, and a clarion between a female and male captive. Obv: IMP C AVRELIANVS AVG, laureate bust of Aurelian right; gold.
- Naked Hercules standing placing right hand on a trophy and holding in the left a club and lion's skin. Obv: IMP C M CL TACITVS AVG, laureate bust of Tacitus, holding an ivory baton; bronze medallion.
- Naked and helmeted Mars, with flowing hair, waliking to right, holding spear and trophy; at his feet a captive. Obv: VIRTVS FLORIANI AVG, laureated bust of Florianus right, holding scepre and shield; gold
- Mars walking to right, holding spear and trophy, or Florianus standing holding spear and globe, or Florianus in military dress walking to right, holding spear and shield and placing foot on captive; on third brass coins of Florian.
- Half naked Mars walking to right holding spear and trophy; on either side a captive; in the exergue SIS; or Probus standing left crowning a trophy and holding a sceptre; at foot of trophy two captives; on gold coins of Probus.
- Probus galloping to left, hurling to his feet two enemies and piercing a third with his spear. Obv: IMP PROBVS P F AVG, laureate bust of Probus left, with cuirass ornamented with the head of Medussa, holding a globe surmounted by Victory and a parazonium; bronze medallion. A similar type also occurs on his small medallions.
- Helmeted Mars standing left, leaning on a shield and holding a spear; or naked and helmeted Mars with long hair walking right and holding spear and trophy, or Probus standing left crowning a trophy, at foot of which a captive, or Probus walking to right, holding spear and shield and placing foot on a captive, or Probus on horseback riding to left against a captive; on small bronze coins of Probus.
- Lion walking to left; in the field a club; in the exergue T ARI or ARI. Obv: CONSTANTINVS P F AVG, laureate head of Constantine the Great right; gold.
- The emperor standing facing looking to right, holding a spear and leaning on a shield; on small bronze coins of Constantine the Great and Constantine II.
- Standard between two seated captives; on the standard VOT X; on small bonze coins of Constantine the Great.
- Laureate Constans standing right, holding spear and globe. Obv: CONSTANS P F AVG, diademed head of Constans left; bronze AE1.
- Constantius II standing holding spear and parazonium, kicking a captive with left foot and crowned by Victory standing behind him. Obv: D N CONSTANTIVS VICTOR AVG, diademed bust of Constantius II; bronze medallion.